Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Artist's Way

I originally started this blog and Seamingly Sarah because I had realized the creativity in my life had slowly diminished to next to nothing. I didn't even realize this was making me so unhappy underneath it all. I had a toddler, a husband, a house, a job, laundry, dishes, and more dishes to take care of. By 8 PM each night I wanted to do nothing else but sit in front of the television. So I did. I only sewed for wedding gifts or the occassional Christmas present, just so I wouldn't have to go out to a store and spend money. Have I mentioned I'm a spend thrift yet? Well that's a post for another day.

At that time in my life I had two different people mention The Artist's Way to me within a week of each other. That is all the prompting it took for me to go to the library and check it out. I just recently returned the book back to the library (only 1 week late!) and really believe it has had a positive impact on me.

I took the leap of faith to open a shop on etsy. I now know it's the process that I need to love, not always the product. I've given myself permission to spend time on things I enjoy. I addressed inner fears of not belonging in the art world, that I wasn't a good enough artist. I began to recognize what delights me and now reach out for those things. I understand the importance of having some alone time with my thoughts. I take pleasure in finger painting with my daughter and try to live in the moment (not a task I always succeed in!). I opened up my mind and eyes to beautiful things around me. I take the time to soak them in. I really don't know if I could fully convey to you how much this has changed me. All I can say is that I feel more like the me I've always wanted to be.

And it's more than art, it's having that happy life. Isn't everyone searching for that? Happy. Well I've just added another tool to my tool box. Another perspective. And it makes me happy. I am happy. And my life will continue to change, evolve and grow. I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. I love this about you, Sarah. I love that your life is so full of love, it flows out in happiness, and with you- that's through your art. You deserve every drop :) Or fabric flower ;)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say!