Monday, February 21, 2011

Saving a Birthday Party

I have not made any progress on the black and white tree quilt, but it seems I can't go a day without sewing!

So instead of doing something productive I made a pretty little crown for Whirlwind's 3rd birthday!
Whirlwind had requested:
cake
ice cream
balloons
party hat

We were visiting my parents in a small town with a very small general store and I had not brought anything with me. So Whirlwind and I made a trip to the general store the morning of her party. We found abosolutely no appropriate balloons or party hats! Unless we wanted to celebrate her being "over the hill" I had to think of something else. 

I lucked out when we found a pile of felt instead. My daughter chose blue (but I bought a sheet of purple too because part of me couldn't fathom my little princess-y girl not wanting purple or pink) and I had an idea in the back of my head how to make it into a crown. I've always wanted to try it anyways.


Was she excited to pick out the color? Yes!
Was she delighted to help me finish it when she woke up from her nap? Yes!
Did she immediately put it on with pride? Yes!
Did she then proceed to have a hissy fit about how it didn't sit on her head correctly...........yes

So there you go. You can create all you want for a small child, but only they determine if they are happy or not! I for one think it is ridicously cute and want to make a dozen more.

And of course she had also requested balloons, but there were none at the general store. So my mom's cupboards came to the rescue with some ancient and small water balloons. My fabulous mother and sister helped me create this impromptu garland and voila! Balloons! I was able to give Whirlwind everything she had asked for (patting self on back).


But no birthday is complete without some cake.
Note to self: apply sprinkles immediately after frosting so they stick and do not tumble everywhere, including off the cake.


2nd note to self: do not leave a three year old alone with a pretty candle. It obviously looks like candy.


But from the look on her face, I'd say the overall day was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say!