Thursday, September 9, 2010

Back from Vacation

Well I'm finally back from vacation. My husband and I spent just under a week in mid-coast Maine. It was slightly in honor of our five year anniversary (today!) and also just to recharge our batteries as parents and human beings. We spent time hiking, rock climbing, kayaking, sleeping, eating good food and watching sailboats pass by.

Speaking of good food, I loved being in a town where it felt like every other restuarant was touting their local food menu. I've done some reading and soul searching and really felt like I wanted to affect the economy and my health by eating as locally as I could this summer. My husband and I finally went to try the one restaurant in our area that offers a local menu. It was delicious (and slightly on the high end of price), but well worth it. But it was only one place. We don't live in a rural wasteland. We actually live in a beautiful county chock full of agriculture, farmer's markets and CSAs. But we only have ONE restaurant offering local food. It's starting to tick us off. Especially after visiting Camden, ME and seeing so many many local choices. Our nearby, small urban area could defintely support a few more places, or at least we think so. So there you have it Glens Falls, NY. We're calling you out. Start offering more local food. I'll eat it if you cook it!

And speaking of eating, our favorite eateries in Camden, ME were
1. Paolino's Way - crab pizza was excellent and we heard the baked oysters are to die for!
2. Cappy's - classic clam chowder and a surprising healthy salmon dish that my husband loved. Please - DO NOT skip out on dessert. Their cake and pies are heavenly. I had the lemon blueberry cheesecake. I told the waitress how wonderful it was and she said she was going to go have a piece herself. There was half a cake left and they were going to throw it out if it didn't all sell. I seriously contemplated buying the rest of the cheesecake and taking it back to the hotel with me. It wouldn't have lasted the night. My husband gave me the hairy eyeball. I backed down.
3. Shepherd's Pie - technically in Rockport, ME, but still delicious. Their signature shepherd's pie dish and fried squid were oh so tasty!

Well that's all I have time for tonight. But I'll leave you with a sneak peek from the beginnings of the end of the rainbow blocks. Did that make sense? Anyone?

4 comments:

  1. Out of curiosity, which restaurant touts local food around here? I think there may be more than we realize that use local food, just don't make a big deal of it. But then again, I'm an optimist on these sorts of things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Morgan. The one we went to that touted local food was The Farmhouse up at Top of the World in Lake George. But it is possible others use some local food. But more is always better, at least it is for me and food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I like the Farmhouse, though I've only ever had their food at Taste of the North Country. ;) I was thinking Rock Hill might try for local, but maybe it's just fair trade that they are after. Something to research. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well now we need to do resarch (lunch) at Rock Hill!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say!